The focus of the workgroup “Mosaic Research in Asia Minor” lies in the completion of the publication of the project “Palace Mosaic of Constantinople”. This mosaic adorned the floor of a peristyle hall which had been uncovered in the course of excavations by the Walker Trust (University of St. Andrews) in 1935-1938 and 1952-1954.
The Palace Mosaic belonged to the décor of the Byzantine Imperial Palaces.
About 250 m² of the mosaic was excavated by the British researchers which are only about 15% of the peristyle hall; the floor had to its entirety been covered by a mosaic. The mosaic was of the highest artistic and technical quality, composed of millions of tesserae of valuable material.
Responsible: Werner Jobst
Series: Archäologische Forschungen