The site Inzersdorf ob der Traisen represents an extensive cremation grave field with a focus in Ha A (1300–1200 BC), yet the occupation continued until Ha B (approx. 1200–900 BC). The study of numerous vessels and bronzes from the urn graves provides an important contribution to the better understanding of the burial customs of Urnfield Culture societies in eastern Austria.
The cemetery of Inzersdorf ob der Traisen (Handl gravel pit, Inzersdorf-Getzersdorf, district St. Pölten), was located a few kilometres south of Getzersdorf. It is a vast cremation cemetery which was mainly used in the Hallstatt A period and at the beginning of Hallstatt B (c. 1200–900 BC). In total, 273 graves were excavated in 1981–1983 and in 1987 under the direction of Dr. Johannes-Wolfgang Neugebauer. In addition to the graves, eleven circular and one square ditch with central graves – presumably enclosures or boundaries of grave mounds – were found. The boundaries of the cemetery in the area of the gravel pit could not be identified due to adverse conditions of the rescue excavations.
In addition to the largely circular grave pits, there were some rectangular-shaped grave pits, some with stone packing. Of particular note among the latter there was a series of more richly furnished graves, such as Grave 39. The hilt of a tanged knife of Dašice type and a bronze cup of Friedrichsruhe type suggest that the burial dates to Hallstatt A1. The numerous vessels and bronze objects provide an important contribution to our understanding of the grave goods and burial customs of this period.