Director and Research Scientist
Mathematics and Signal Processing in Acoustics
Tel. +43 1 51581-2510
Peter Balazs studied mathematics and physics at the University of Vienna. In 2001, he graduated with honors in mathematics and an M.Sc. thesis on "Polynomials over Groups" ("Polynome über Gruppen"). He successfully defended his PhD thesis and graduated (with distinction) in June 2005. His PhD thesis is titled, "Regular and Irregular Gabor Multiplier with Application to Psychoacoustic Masking," and can be downloaded here.
Peter Balazs has been part of the Institute since 1999. His PhD thesis was written at NuHaG, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Vienna. The cooperation formed during his thesis also resulted in him becoming a fellow of the HASSIP EU network. He joined the LATP, CMI and LMA, CNRS Marseille from November 2003 - April 2004 and in March, May and June of 2006. He also worked with the FYMA, UCL, Louvain-La-Neuve in August 2005.
In 2011 he has won the START prize, the national equivalent of the ERC starting grant in Austria, and therefore the most prestiguos award for youg scientists in Austria. In the same year he wrote his habilitation thesis "New Concepts in Frame Theory Motivated by Acoustical Applications".
In 2012 he was appointed as director of ARI.
Peter Balazs is interested in Time Frequency Analysis, Gabor Analysis, Numerics, Frame Theory, Signal Processing, Acoustics and Psychoacoustics.
- Balazs P.; Teofanov N. (2022) Continuous Frames in Tensor Product Hilbert Spaces, Localization Operators and Density Operators. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical.
- Novoselov N.; Balazs P.; Bokelmann G. (2022) SEDENOSS: SEparating and DENOising Seismic Signals With Dual - Path Recurrent Neural Network Architecture. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth.
- Balazs P.; Bellomonte G.; Hosseinnezhad H. (2022) Frame-Related Sequences in Chains and Scales of Hilbert Spaces. Axioms, Bd. 11.
- Wojdyllo P.; Balazs P. (2022) Ancient Greek theatre - impulse response simulation. PROCEEDINGS of the 2nd Symposium: The Acoustics of Ancient Theatres. Verona.
- Abreu L. D.; Balazs P.; Jaksic S. (2022) The affine ensemble: determinantal point processes associated with the ax+b group. Journal of the Mathematical Society of Japan.
- Hollomey C.; Holighaus N.; Balazs P. (2022) Music signal analysis in the Large Time Frequency Analysis Toolbox. Proceedings: A07, Musical Acoustics, ICA 2022. Gyeongju S. 98-104.
- Balazs P.; Tauböck G.; Rajbamshi S.; Holighaus N. (2022) Audio Inpainting. Proceedings: A16, Numerical, Computational and Theoretical Acoustics, ICA 2022. Gyeongju S. 186-189.
- Kasess C. H.; Maly T.; Balazs P.; Kreuzer W. (2021) Time-variant signal manipulation using frame multipliers. Euronoise, Madeira. Madeira S. 673-682.
- Průša Z.; Holighaus N.; Balazs P. (2021) Fast Matching Pursuit with Multi-Gabor Dictionaries. Transactions on Mathematical Software, Bd. 47, S. 1-20.
- Balazs P.; Kasess C.; Kreuzer W.; Maly T.; Průša Z.; Jaillet F. (2021) Anwendung von Rahmen-Multiplikatoren für die Extraktion von Kurvenquietschen von Zugsaufnahmen. e & i Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnik, Bd. 138, S. 206-211.
- Haider D.; Holighaus N.; Balazs P. (2021) Phase-Based Signal Representations for Scattering. European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO21).
- Abbasi R.; Balazs P.; Penn D. J.; Zala S. M. (2021) Pitfalls of Using Feature-Based Classification for Mouse Ultrasonic Vocalizations. DAGA 2021, Jahrestagung der Akustik.
- Abbasi R.; Balazs P.; Spitzbart J.; Graf B.; Wallaszkovits N. (2021) A Quantitative Comparison of Traffic Noise During, Before and Long Before the Pandemic Using A-Posteriori Heuristic Calibration. DAGA 2021, Jahretagung der Akustik.
- Haider D.; Balazs P.; Holighaus N.; Gutscher L. (2021) Zeit-Frequenz Darstellungen und Deep Learning. DAGA 2021, Jahrestagung für Akustik. Vienna.
- Pucher M. and; Balazs P. (Eds.) (2021) Akustische Phonetik und ihre multidisziplinären Aspekte - Ein Gedenkband für Sylvia Moosmüller. Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften, .
- Rajbamshi S.; Tauböck G.; Holighaus N.; Balazs P. (2021) Audio Inpainting via L1-Minimization and Dictionary Learning. European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2021).
- Waubke H.; Balazs P.; Köhldorfer L.; Kranabetter A. (2021) PanDeNoise: Measurements before and during the lockdown at Zederhaus. Fortschritte in der Akustik, DAGA 2021, Wien. Wien.
- Stoeva D. T.; Balazs P. (2020) A survey on the unconditional convergence and the invertibility of multipliers with implementation. In: Sampling - Theory and Applications. Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis.. Birkhäuser, Cham S. 169 - 192.
- Balazs P.; Holighaus N. (2020) LTFAT - Die Zeit-Frequenz Toolbox. Jubiläumstagungsband DAGA 2020.
- Shamsabadi M.; Arefijamaal A.; Balazs P. (2020) The invertibility of U-fusion cross Gram matrices of operators. Mediterranean Journal of Mathematics, Bd. 17, S. 130.
Professional societies and activities
His hobbies are: music (playing the drums), baseball, games (especially role-playing games), and using the computer. You can view Peter Balazs's personal homepage here.
Peter Balazs was working on the START project 'Frames and Linear Operators for Acoustical Modeling and Parameter Estimation', which aimed at establishing frame theory as the mathematical backbone for acoustical modelling. For more details see here.
He was the leader of the WWTF project Frame Multiplier: Theory and Application in Acoustics from 2008 - 2011. This project aimed to establish new results in the mathematic theory of frame multipliers - to integrate them into efficient digital signal processing algorithms, and to make them available for use in "real world" acoustic applications. This international, multi-disciplinary and team-oriented project has allowed P. Balazs to form the group 'Mathematics and Acoustical Signal Processing’ at the Acoustics Research Institute, in cooperation with NuHaG Vienna (Hans G. Feichtinger), the group Laboratoire PRISM of the LMA / CRNS Marseille (Richard Kronland-Martinet) and the Signal Processing Group of the LATP, CNRS Marseilles (Bruno Torrésani) as well as the FYMA, UCL, Louvain-La-Neuve (Jean-Pierre Antoine).
Regular and irregular Gabor multiplier with application to psychoacoustic masking was a focus of Balazs, even after finishing his PhD. and has developed into other projects like MulAc. With the Laboratoire PRISM, the Acoustics Research Institute has successfully implemented a WTZ-funded exchange project on "Time-Frequency Representation and Perception" for 2006 and 2007.
Balazs has also worked as a software developer at our Institute. When starting at the Institute in 1999, he was working on implementations in S_TOOLS-STx Macro & C++, documentation, user interface development, database structure concepts, and more. After finishing his studies, he has been delving deeper into the mathematical and theoretical background of signal processing.
His other projects include investigating the phase in acoustics, helping with the mathematical background in other projects, and some programming. He has also worked (and co-managed) in the project, "Vibrations in soils and liquids - Transform method for layers with random properties", a project of Dr. Ing. habil. Waubke funded by the FWF. Since June 2005 P. Balazs has been a permanent staff member of the Acoustics Research Institute.
His interests include discrete Gabor analysis and Gabor theory in the finite discrete setting, which is an area of high interest for any application. In 2006 he publshed a numerically efficient way to find an approximate dual window (a window that gives perfect reconstruction). He is using a special structure of Gabor analysis and synthesis via "Double Preconditioning for Gabor Frames".