After completing a technical school for electrical engineering, Piotr Majdak studied audio engineering at the University of Technology in Graz (TU-Graz) and at the University of Music and Dramatic Arts in Graz (KUG). During his studies, he developed hardware and software for measurement tools and process-controlling devices.
Piotr Majdak graduated with the Master's thesis entitled "Implementation of a head related binaural technique", in which he dealt with a real-time binaural system called Ambisonics. In that project, Ambisonics allowed the inclusion of the listener’s head movements without the need for time-variant filtering, and therefore a reduction of the computational power. As part of the thesis, the binaural system was implemented for a digital signal processor platform including a head-tracker. The Master's thesis was done jointly with Markus Noisternig.
In 2002, he joined ARI as a junior researcher being involved in setting-up the group "Psychoacoustics and experimental audiology".
In 2008, he finished his PhD about sound lateralization in cochlear-implant listeners, in which the effects of different aspects of the interaural time differences on sound lateralization are described.
In 2015, his habilitation for the area "Acoustics and audio engineering" was approved, which allows him to supervise PhD students at the KUG.
General research field is spatial hearing, in particular:
- Sound localization in normal-hearing, hearing-impaired, and cochlear-implant listeners;
- Virtual acoustics;
- Effects of head-related transfer functions (HRTFs) and its numerical simulation;
- General binaural effects in electric hearing.
Piotr Majdak was the main developer of ExpSuite, an open-source software framework for psychoacoustic experiments in normal-hearing and cochlear-implant listeners, used at ARI since 2003 and now mainly developed by Michael Mihocic. Piotr Majdak is the main developer of the SOFA API and the Auditory Modeling Toolbox.
A list of projects in which Piotr participates or participated can be found here.
- Majdak P.; Baumgartner R.; Jenny C. (2020) Formation of three-dimensional auditory space. In: The Technology of Binaural Understanding.. Springer, Cham, S. 115-149.
- Srinivasan S.; Laback B.; Majdak P.; Arnoldner C. (2020) Improving Interaural Time Difference Sensitivity using Short Inter-pulse Intervals with Amplitude-Modulated Pulse Trains in Bilateral Cochlear Implants. Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Bd. 21, S. 105-120.
- Lindenbeck M.; Laback B.; Majdak P.; Srinivasan S. (2020) Temporal-pitch sensitivity in electric hearing with amplitude modulation and inserted pulses with short inter-pulse intervals. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Bd. 147, S. 777-793.
- Best V.; Baumgartner R.; Lavandier M.; Majdak P.; Kopco N. (2020) Sound externalization: a review of recent research. Trends in Hearing, Bd. 24, S. 2331216520948390.
- Pollack K.; Majdak P.; Furtado H. (2020) A Parametric Pinna Model for the Calculations of Head-Related Transfer Functions. Proceedings of Forum Acusticum. Lyon.
- Kasess C. H. (2020) Perception Rating of the Acoustic Emissions of Heat Pumps. Proceedings of Forum Acusticum 2020. Lyon S. CD-ROM.
- Marafioti A.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P.; Perraudin N. (2019) Audio inpainting of music by means of neural networks. 146th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society. Dublin.
- Lindenbeck M.; Majdak P.; Laback B. (2019) Binaural processing in a new cochlear-implant stimulation paradigm inserting extra pulses with short inter-pulse intervals. Proceedings of the ICA 2019 and EAA Euroregio (M. Ochmann, Vorlaender, M., and Fels, J., eds.). German Acoustical Society (DEGA), Berlin, Germany S. 2202-2209.
- Majdak P.; Kreuzer W.; Baumgartner R.; Mihocic M.; Reichinger A. (2019) Method for determining listener-specific head-related transfer functions. .
- Marafioti A.; Perraudin N.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P. (2019) Adversarial Generation of Time-Frequency Features with application in audio synthesis. Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Machine LearningProceedings of Machine Learning Research (K. Chaudhuri and Salakhutdinov, R., eds.). PMLR, Long Beach, California, USA Bd. 97 S. 4352-4362.
- Marafioti A.; Perraudin N.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P. (2019) A context encoder for audio inpainting. . Bd. 27 Issue 12 S. 2362 - 2372.
- Stawick M. (2019) Ventriloquist Illusion Produced With Virtual Acoustic Spatial Cues and Asynchronous Audiovisual Stimuli in Both Young and Older Individuals. Multisensory Research, Bd. 32, S. 745–770.
- Necciari T; Balazs P.; Pr uša Z.; Majdak P.; Derrien O. (2018) Audlet Filter Banks: A Versatile Analysis/Synthesis Framework using Auditory Frequency Scales. Applied Sciences, Bd. 8, S. 96-117.
- Perraudin N.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P.; Balazs P. (2018) Inpainting of Long Audio Segments with Similarity Graphs. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Bd. 26, S. 1079-1090.
- Laback B.; Srinivasan S.; Lindenbeck M.; Ferber M.; Majdak P. (2018) Towards increasing timing sensitivity in electric hearing. . Acoustical Society of America (ASA), Minneapolis, MN Bd. 143 S. 1785.
- Srinivasan S.; Laback B.; Majdak P.; Delgutte B. (2018) Introducing Short Interpulse Intervals in High-Rate Pulse Trains Enhances Binaural Timing Sensitivity in Electric Hearing. Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Bd. 19, S. 301-315.
- Kasess C. H.; Maly T.; Majdak P.; Waubke H. (2017) The relation between psychoacoustical factors and annoyance under different noise reduction conditions for railway noise. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Bd. 141, S. 3151.
- Baumgartner R.; Reed D.K.; Tóth B.; Best V.; Majdak P.; Colburn H.S.; et al. (2017) Asymmetries in behavioral and neural responses to spectral cues demonstrate the generality of auditory looming bias. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, Bd. 114, S. 9743-9748.
- Egger K.; Majdak P.; Laback B. (2017) Binaural timing information in electric hearing at low rates: Effects of inacurrate encoding and loudness. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Bd. 141, S. 3164-3174.
- Srinivasan S.; Laback B.; Majdak P. (2017) Introducing Short Interpluse Intervals Improves Behavioral ITD Sensitivity with Cochlear Implants. Fortschritte in der Akustik DAGA.
Piotr Majdak is responsible for ARI's experimental facilities. He is also in charge for ethical issues at the ARI. Since January 2016, he is the deputy director of the ARI.
He teaches "Algorithmen in Akustik und Computermusik" (algorithms in acoustic and computer music) at the Institute for Electronic Music and Acoustics, KUG in Graz. Since 2014, he also teaches "Audiotechnik" at the Fachhochschule Technikum Wien.