Corresponding Member of the Division of Humanities and the Social Sciences abroad since 2008
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Human Geography, Regional Geography, Regional Planning
- Migration research
- Urban planning
- Environmental policy
- American Association of Geographers
- American Association of Geographers Distinguished Scholarship Honors for 2019
- Österreichisches Ehrenzeichen f. Wissenschaft und Kunst (2018)
- Residency at the Rockefeller Foundation Bellagio Center (Fall 2012)
- Scholar of the College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis (2010)
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccelaureate, Graduate and Professional Education, University of Minnesota and elected member of the Academy of Distinguished Teachers (2009)
- Leitner, H., Sheppard, E., Webber, S., and Colven, E. 2018. Globalizing urban resilience. Urban Geography. Available online: DOI: 10.1080/02723638.2018.1446870.
- Leitner, H. and Sheppard, E. 2022. Speculating on land, property and peri/urban futures: A conjunctural approach to intra-metropolitan comparison. Urban Studies, available online: https://doi.org/10.1177/00420980221081642.
- Leitner, H., Peck, J. and Sheppard, E., (eds.), 2007. Contesting Neoliberalism: Urban Frontiers. New York: Guilford Press. 336 pp.
- Fincher, R., Iveson, K., Leitner, H., Preston, V. 2019. Everyday Equalities: Making Multicultures in Settler Colonial Cities. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Leitner, H., Peck, J. and Sheppard, E. (eds.) 2019. Urban Studies Inside/Out: Theory, Method, Practice. London: Sage Publications.