Jiannis Kaucic holds a master’s degree in Geography from the University of Vienna (2012) and was scientific staff at the Austrian Institute for Spatial Planning (2012-2017), as well as university assistant and PhD candidate at the Department of Geography and Regional Research at the University of Vienna (2017-2022). His research focuses on theory and practice of European regional policy, spatial patterns and mechanisms of urban and regional development processes, as well as forms and impacts of regional governance in the multi-level-system. His PhD research deals with structures and processes of cross-border governance and the production of new political scales (‘rescaling’) in European border areas. Since Mai 2022, Jiannis Kaučić is working as scientific staff at the Institute for Urban and Regional Research (ISR) and teaches at the University of Vienna.
- Regional and Multi-Level Governance
- Urban and regional development
- Regional disparities in Europe
- Polycentric spatial development
Memberships and additional functions
- Reviewer for European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis, Print ISSN: 0965-4313 Online ISSN: 1469-5944, https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/ceps20/current
- Reviewer for Europa XXI, Regional Science & Territorial Policies, IGiPZ PAN, ISSN 1429-7132, https://europa21.igipz.pan.pl/
- Reviewer for TEMA - Journal of Land Use, Mobility and Environment (Journal), ISSN 1970-9889, http://www.tema.unina.it/index.php/tema
- European Spatial Planning Observation Network (ESPON): Service contract for ‘Dissemination of ESPON results among the scientific community’, 2021
- Performance Scholarship, University of Vienna, 2009
Kaucic, J., Sohn, C., 2021, Mapping the cross-border cooperation ‘galaxy’: an exploration of scalar arrangements in Europe, European Planning Studies, DOI: 10.1080/09654313.2021.1923667
Essig, S. and Kaucic, J., 2017, ESPON TIA - Balancing between Policy Orientation, Practicability and Scientific Ambition, in: Medeiros, E. (2017), Uncovering the Territorial Dimension of European Union Cohesion Policy: cohesion, development, impact assessment and cooperation, p184-201, Routledge, London.