Sabina Cveček, MA
RG »Prehistoric Phenomena«
Telephone: +43 1 51581-6124
Location: Hollandstraße 11–13, 5th floor | 1020 Vienna
Sabina is a socio-cultural anthropologist specializing in the interpretation of non-state social organization in Aegean and Anatolian prehistory through an interdisciplinary perspective. Based on the historical comparison, she uses multiple lines of prehistoric evidence (analyzed by archaeologists) and ethnographic insights (collected by ethnographers) to uncover shared patterns and draw new insights. In addition to her PhD in socio-cultural anthropology from the University of Vienna, Austria (2021), Sabina also holds an MA CREOLE: Cultural Differences and Transnational Processes degree in socio-cultural anthropology from the University of Vienna (2012-2015) and a BA in Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology from the University of Ljubljana (2009-2012).
As part of her PhD research, Sabina worked alongside prehistoric archaeologists within an interdisciplinary DOC-team research project “Households at the Dawn of the Bronze Age – Contextualizing Local Social Organization in the Eastern Mediterranean from Anthropological Perspectives”, funded by the Austrian Academy of Sciences (70291). Since 2016, Sabina has gained experiences as an archaeological anthropologist, having worked alongside prehistoric archaeologists in the field (Greece, Turkey). Since joining the ‘Prehistoric Phenomena’ research group at the Austrian Archaeological Institute as a Post-DocTrack fellow (85076) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in March 2021, Sabina has been working on publishing her PhD results and preparing a new project. Her monograph titled “Çukuriçi Höyük 4: Household economics in the Early Bronze Age Aegean” will soon be published in the OREA book series of the Austrian Academy of Sciences Press.
In addition to her recent research activities at the OeAI, Sabina was also an ATHEN fellow at the Austrian Archaeological Institute in Athens (2021), an IFK_Junior Fellow at Internationales Forschungszentrum Kulturwissenschaften (International Research Center for Cultural Studies) in Vienna, Austria (2020/2021), and a visiting researcher at The International Max Planck Research School for the Anthropology, Archaeology, and History of Eurasia at the Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology in Halle/Saale (2019).
- Interdisciplinary approaches towards studying non-state societies
- Early Bronze Age Aegean and Anatolia
- household archaeology and social organization
- socio-political models and kinship practices in non-state societies
- exchange networks and subsistence
Journal Publication (3)
- Cveček, Sabina; Schwall, Christoph (online: 2022) Ghost Children: Delayed Personhood and Culturespecific Models of Infancy in Western Anatolia. Praehistorische Zeitschrift, S. 1-27.
- Sabina, Cveček (2021) Metalworking as a household activity at the Early Bronze Age site of Çukuriçi Höyük. IFK_Now, S. 6-7.
- Cveček, Sabina Throwing their weights around? Anthropological perspectives on commodity and gift exchange at the dawn of the Early Bronze Age in Western Anatolia. Egypt and the Levant (30), S. 283-300.
- Cveček, Sabina (2022) Çukuriçi Höyük 4. Household Economics in the Early Bronze Age Aegean. In Reihe: Oriental and European Archaeology 25, hrsg. v. Horejs, Barbara; Wien: Verlag der ÖAW (324 Seiten).
Conference Contribution: Publication in Proceedings (1)
- Sabina, Cveček; Stephanie, Emra (2021) Rhythms of seasonal taskscapes at Early Bronze Age Çukuriçi Höyük. In: Rom, I.; Turner, D.; Filioglou, D.; Slim, F.; Beld, Y. van den (Hrsg.) (Breaking Boundaries: Connecting the Aegean Bronze Age, Proceedings of the 3rd Scapecon conference) In Reihe: TMA Supplement 2. The Tijdschrift voor Mediterrane Archeologie (Journal of Mediterranean Archaeology), S. 42-49.
Contribution in Collection (1)
- Cveček, S.; Horejs, B. (2021) A view from Çukuriçi: Multiple, co-existing models of socio-political organisation in Early Bronze Age western Anatolia. In: Akkaş, I.; Karakoç, M. (Hrsg.), Anadolu’da Ethnoarkeoloji Araştırmaları (Prehistorik Dönem’den Günümüze Kadar). Ethnoarchaeological Research in Anatolia (From the Prehistoric Period to the Present); Istanbul: Duruk Publishing, S. 466–496.
- Cveček, Sabina (2021) Households at the dawn of the Bronze Age: Anthropological contextualizations of local social organization within the Aegean basin. Doktorarbeit, Institut für Kultur- und Sozialanthropologie, Universität Wien, Wien.
Book or Essay review (1)
- Cveček, S. (2018) Review of Antweiler, C. Our common denominator: human universals revisited. Journal of Social Anthropology 26 (2), S. 269-270.
Other Publication (2)
- Cveček, S. (2021) Štúdio svet, Slovakian National Radio, Studio World radio reportage and a podcast.
- Cveček, Sabina (2021) Magische Schmiedekunst: Die Rolle der Frauen – Magic forging: the role of women. ORF-Science.