Study of Oriental Languages and Literature at Tashkent State University. 2004 Promotion to Ph.D., the Institute of Institute of Oriental Studies at the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Uzbekistan. 1992-2016 Junior Research Fellow; Research Fellow; Senior Research Fellow, Deputy Director at the al-Biruni Institute of Oriental Studies, Uzbek Academy of Sciences. Since November 2016 Research Fellow of the START Project Seeing Like an Archive: Documents and Forms of Governance in Islamic Central Asia (18–19th Centuries) in the Institute of Iranian Studies at the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna.
Main Areas of Research
- History of Medieval Central Asia
- Muslim Historiography in Central Asia and Iran
- Manuscript Culture
- The Aral Region and Geopolitical Agenda of the Early Qongrats, in Eurasian Studies, 13/1-2 (2017), 3-36.
- Take Me to Khiva: Sharīʿa as Governance in the Oasis of Khorezm (19th-Early 20th Centuries), Islamic Law and Society, 24:1-2 (2017), 20-60 (co-authored with Paolo Sartori).
- The Politics of Ambiguity: What Does It Mean to Be a Russian Protectorate?, Ab Imperio, 3 (2016): 118-164 (co-authored with Paolo Sartori).
- Ol’ga Chekhovich: Two Facets of a Soviet Academic, Iranian Studies, 48/5, (2015): 785–804.
- Atāʾī-Mulk and Yārlīqlī-Mulk: Features of Land Tenure in Khiva, Der Islam 88/2, (2012): 308–323.
- Pravovaia i fiskal’naia dinamika zemlevladeniia v Khorezme (XIX – nachalo XX v.), Восток-ORIENS, 4 (Moscow, 2015): 32-46.
- ‘Tainy khivinskogo dvora’: Politicheskaya bor’ba v Khive v period Rossiiskogo protektorata. Vostok Svyshe, 3 (Tashkent, 2015): 38-65.
- V Khivu v poiskakh spravedlivosti: tceremoniia ‘arzdod’ v Khivinskom khanstve, O‘zbekiston tarixi, 2 (Tashkent, 2015): 27-39
- “Potomki otceniat eti mysli i vyvodi”: Е.А. Davidovich i O.D. Chekhovich v lichnoi perepiske, Vostok Svyshe, 1 (Tashkent, 2015): 74–81.