Ulfatbek Abdurasulov currently is a post-doc research fellow of the Institute of Iranian Studies at the Austrian Academy of Sciences, working on the stand-alone project Central Asia in Russian Diplomatic Archives (17th–19th Centuries), funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). From 2014 to 2019 he worked as a post-doc researcher within the framework of the START Project Seeing Like an Archive: Documents and Forms of Governance in Islamic Central Asia (18–19th Centuries), funded by the FWF. Previously, in 2000–2014 Dr Abdurasulov worked as a Senior Research Fellow in the Institute of History, the Uzbek Academy of Sciences wherein in 2008 he defended his PHD dissertation in History. In 2011–2014 he had been a Research Fellow of VolkswagenStiftung Project ”The Archives Talk”. His main interests lie in the area of the Islamic Central Asia, the Imperial and Colonial Studies as well as the History of Oriental Studies in the USSR.
Main Areas of Research
- Islamic Central Asia (18th – Early 20th Centuries);
- Imperial and Colonial Studies;
- Islamic Justice, Conflict Resolution,
- Oriental Studies in Soviet Uzbekistan
- Seeking Justice at the Court of the Khans of Khiva (19th-early 20th Centuries) (Brill: Leiden-Boston, 2020) https://brill.com/view/title/56379?language=en, (co-authored with Paolo Sartori)
- Passage to India: Rhetoric and Diplomacy between Muscovy and Central Asia in 17th Century, Itinerario 3 (2020).
- Imperial Strategic Uncertainty: The Promises and Perils of a Russian Protectorate in Central Asia. In N. Purnaqcheband and F. Saafeld (eds.) “Aus den Tiefenschichten der Texte. Beitrage zur tuko-iranischen Welt von der Islamisierung bis zur Gegenwart” (Reichert Verlag Wiesbaden 2019): 233–264 (co-authored with Paolo Sartori)
- Soviet „Local“ Knowledge: Babajan Safarov’s Notes on Slavery in Khwarazm. In: N. Purnaqcheband and F. Saafeld (eds.) “Aus den Tiefenschichten der Texte. Beitrage zur tuko-iranischen Welt von der Islamisierung bis zur Gegenwart” (Reichert Verlag Wiesbaden 2019): 265–292 (co-authored with Nuryoghdi Toshov).
- Konflikt kak resurs: anatomiia 'turkmenskikh besporiadkov' v Khorezme, 1914-1916 gg. Ab Imperio 3 (2018): 141–186
- The Aral Region and Geopolitical Agenda of the Early Qongrats, in Eurasian Studies, 13/1-2 (2017), 3-36.
- Take Me to Khiva: Sharīʿa as Governance in the Oasis of Khorezm (19th-Early 20th Centuries), Islamic Law and Society, 24:1-2 (2017), 20-60 (co-authored with Paolo Sartori).
- The Politics of Ambiguity: What Does It Mean to Be a Russian Protectorate?, Ab Imperio, 3 (2016): 118-164 (co-authored with Paolo Sartori).
- Ol’ga Chekhovich: Two Facets of a Soviet Academic, Iranian Studies, 48/5, (2015): 785–804.
- Atāʾī-Mulk and Yārlīqlī-Mulk: Features of Land Tenure in Khiva, Der Islam 88/2, (2012): 308–323.
For a full list of publications, see detailed biography: