Dr. Ortrun Mittelsten Scheid joined the GMI as a Senior Group Leader in 2004, following a very successful career in Switzerland.
Dr Mittelsten Scheid was Interim Science Director of the GMI from 2007-2009.
- Diploma (MSc equivalent) in Biology: University of Hamburg, Germany, 1981
- PhD: University of Hamburg, Germany, 1985
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Max Planck Institute for Cell Biology, Ladenburg, Germany, 1985-1987. Laboratory: Prof. Hans-Georg Schweiger
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Institute for Plant Sciences at the Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zurich, Switzerland, 1988-1992. Laboratory: Prof. Ingo Potrykus
- Research Associate: Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel, Switzerland, 1992-2003. Laboratory: Prof. Jerzy Paszkowski
- Interim Scientific Director: Gregor Mendel Institute of Molecular Plant Biology, Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna, Austria, 2007-2009
Awards & Fellowships
- PhD Fellowship: German Merit Foundation 1981-1983
- Fellowship: German Research Council (DFG) 1988-1990
- Habilitation (Botany), University of Basel, Switzerland, 2000
- Habilitation (Genetics), University of Vienna, Austria, 2006
- NET Member: Epigenome Network of Excellence, 2006
- Erwin Schrödinger-Prize: Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW), 2016
Editoral and Advisory Functions
- 2008 - present, Reporter for the Board of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- 2010 - present, Editorial Board of Plant Cell
- 2014 - present, ERC Panel for Consolidator Grants
- 2015 - present, Editorial Board of PLoS Genetics
Here is a list of all of Dr. Mittelsten Scheid's publications.