The GMI provides access to cutting-edge scientific facilities to accelerate our research
Some of the most important benefits provided to researchers at the GMI are a diverse set of core facilities and services which provide access to state-of-the-art equipment. These facilities are run by teams of experienced professionals who assist in experimental design, instrument usage, and data analysis.
- BioOptics - offers flow cytometry & flow sorting on three flow cytometers, more than twenty microscopy systems including CLSM, 2P, TIRF, SIM, and LSFM, as well as assistance in image processing and analysis.
- High-Performance Computing - our Cloud Infrastructure Platform (CLIP) offers cutting-edge computing for the Life Sciences.
- Max Perutz Library - a specialized reference library with an on-site literature collection and study environment.
- Molecular Biology Service - provides diverse services, including sanger sequencing, preparation of competent E. coli, 96-well format plasmid prep, instrumentation for high-throughput methods and lab automation, and runs a full-service media kitchen.
- Protein Chemistry - runs mass spectrometers and chromatography systems to enable protein separation, identification, quantification, and post-translational modification characterization as well as offering peptide synthesis and affinity purification of antibodies.
- The Mechanical Engineering Center assists scientists in any hardware challenge: designing and building prototypes, robotics or any custom-made experimental setup that requires expert skills and professional tools to translate ideas into custom-made products in the service of discovery.
VBCF - Vienna BioCenter Core Facilities
- Austrian BioImaging/CMI - offers open access to imaging technologies, data services, R&D and training in biological and biomedical imaging.
- Computational Biology Training - provides practical courses in computational data analysis topics.
- Electron Microscopy - assists with diverse sample preparation techniques for on-site SEM, TEM, and cryo-EM systems.
- Histology - a fully-equipped histology lab for tissue embedding, sectioning, manual and automated staining.
- Metabolomics - uses tandem mass spectrometry and chromatography for bulk and targeted metabolite profiling.
- Next Generation Sequencing - runs 3 Illumina and 1 PacBio sequencers as well as a library preparation service and assistance in the development of novel methods and protocols.
- Plant Sciences - operates 23 state-of-the art growth chambers and phytotrons, including a high-throughput digital phenotyping chamber.
- Protein Technologies - offers molecular cloning services, protein production and purification, biophysical protein characterization, and several services surrounding CRISPR/Cas9.