Dr Markus Kiess is the Business Director of the GMI, with management responsibility for all financial and administrative matters.
Dr Markus Kiess joined the GMI as Business Director in 2009. Previously he was Business Unit Head at Novartis Pharma Schweiz AG in Berne, Switzerland. Dr Kiess has a science background, holding a PhD degree in Molecular Biology, and has extensive business expertise, having completed advanced business training at both Harvard University and the St Gallen Business School.
- MSc: Biochemistry, Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland, 1989
- PhD: Cancer Research, University of Zurich, Switzerland, 1993
Current and Former Positions
- Research fellow (Postdoc) at the Department of Molecular and Cellular Pathology, University of Toronto, Canada (1993-1995)
- Research scientist at the Institute for Neuropathology at the University Hospital of Zürich, Switzerland (1995-1996)
- Clinical Trials Manager with Essex Chemie AG (Schering-Plough Inc.) in Lucerne, Switzerland (1996-1997)
- Several positions at Novartis Pharma Schweiz AG in Berne, Switzerland (1997-2009):
- Medical Marketing Manager (1997-2001)
- Business Unit Head (including Infectious Diseases, Transplantation & Immunology), member of the executive board (2001-2009)
Awards, Honors & Fellowships
- Fellowship, Swiss National Science Foundation (1993-1994)
- Fellowship, Swiss Cancer League (1994-1995)
- Cancer Research Award of the Dr. Arnold U. und Susanne Huggenberger-Bischoff Foundation (1995)