Monika Hinteregger is based in Graz, Austria. In October 1996 she was appointed distinguished professor of Civil Law at the Department of Civil Law, Foreign and International Law of the Karl Franzens University Graz. Since November 2003 she has been serving as president of the Senate of the Karl Franzens University Graz. Her regular teaching activities cover a broad range of Austrian Civil Law (law of obligations, property law, tort law and family law) and selected topics of European Law. Her research activities focus inter alia on European and Austrian tort law and civil liability for modern technologies, especially environmental and nuclear liability. She served several times as a visiting professor at other universities in Europe (Hungary, Italy), USA (Rutgers Law School, Camden, New Jersey), and Asia (University of Malaya, Malaysia) and as a legal advisor to the Austrian government concerning the drafting of legislation in the field of environmental and nuclear liability as well as general tort law.
Main Areas of Research
- Austrian and European tort law
- Comparative law
- Family law
- Environmental law
- Private law
- Grundfragen der Umwelthaftung. Zugleich ein Beitrag zu den allgemeinen Lehren des Haftungsrechts, zur ökonomischen Analyse des Rechts und zum privaten Immisionsschutzrecht (Manz 1994)
- Environmental Liability and Ecological Damage in European Law (Cambridge University Press 2008)
- Civil Liability in Europe for Terrorism-Related Risk, edited together with Bergkamp, Faure and Philipsen (Cambridge University Press 2015).
- Trauerschmerzengeld und der Anspruch auf immateriellen Schadenersatz im österreichischen Recht, in Huber/Neumayr/Reisinger (eds), Festschrift für Karl-Heinz Danzl (2017) 71-85.