David Messner studied law in Vienna from 2011-2015 and took part in an exchange programme with the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, PRC. During his studies, he worked as a student assistant at the department of Roman law and history of antique law with Univ.-Prof. Dr. Nikolaus Benke and at the department of civil law with Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ernst Karner. Furthermore his team won the Austrian Moot Court Competition in 2014. While a student, he published an article on the joint and several liability of employees as tortfeasors and on extra-contractual claims of probate researchers against heirs. David is fluent in English and German and has advanced knowledge of Chinese and French.
He finished his studies in summer 2015 and joined the Institute for European Tort Law as a research assistant of Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ernst Karner.
Main Areas of Research
- Austrian and European tort law
- Comparative law
- Private law
- Haftung und Regress bei gestörter Gesamtschuld bei Dienstnehmern und Dritten, ÖJZ 2014,584.
- Ermittlung von Erben: Nützliche Geschäftsführung oder aufgedrängte Bereicherung? Zak 2014, 367, together with Dominik Prankl and Lena Kolbitsch.
- Nachbarrechtliche Unterlassungsansprüche bei „gemeinwichtiger“ Straßenbahnanlage, ZVR 2017, 198.
- Amtshaftung für Gesetzesvorbereitung durch Verwaltungsorgane, JBl 2017, 205 und 296.