David Messner studied law at the University of Vienna from 2011-2015 (Mag. iur.), taking part in an exchange programme with the Shanghai Jiao Tong University (PRC). During his studies, he worked as a student assistant at the Department of Roman Law as well as the Department of Private Law. Further he was a member of the team which won the Austrian Moot Court Competition of 2014.
David has been a research assistant of the Institute for European Tort Law since 2015 and a research and teaching assistant of the Centre for European Private Law at the University of Graz since 2019. He is working on his doctoral thesis on necessity in private law at the University of Vienna, has presented aspects of his work on several occasions and was a visiting fellow at Harvard Law School (USA) in summer 2019.
David is fluent in English and German and has advanced knowledge of Chinese and French.
Main Areas of Research
- Austrian and European tort law
- Comparative law
- Private law
- Haftung und Regress bei gestörter Gesamtschuld bei Dienstnehmern und Dritten, ÖJZ 2014,584.
- Ermittlung von Erben: Nützliche Geschäftsführung oder aufgedrängte Bereicherung? Zak 2014, 367, together with Dominik Prankl and Lena Kolbitsch.
- Nachbarrechtliche Unterlassungsansprüche bei „gemeinwichtiger“ Straßenbahnanlage, ZVR 2017, 198.
- Amtshaftung für Gesetzesvorbereitung durch Verwaltungsorgane, JBl 2017, 205 und 296.