The Athens branch of the OeAI was founded in 1898. The institute building was built according to plans by the architect Ernst Ziller on ground given by the Greek State for this purpose located along the Leoforos Alexandras and opened in 1908. From 1947 to 2003 the Austrian Embassy was also located in this building.
The responsibilities of the OeAI Athens include research and excavation work, scientific and administrative support of Austrian scholars as well as students conducting research in Greece.
Austrian excavations in Greece
In accordance with the Greek antiquities service the OeAI annually receives permits for three Austrian excavations in Greece.
- Excavation Aigeira
- Excavation Lousoi
- Excavation Aegina-Kolonna
- Excavation Gremoulias/Kalavrita
- Excavation Pheneos