Decision Support on Security Investment
Investments in the security of European citizens have increased dramatically. Oftentimes the decisions are made behind closed doors – the focus on security issues overshadows the political, ethical and social aspects.
Security is often equalled to technology. This has led to a securitization of several areas of society, such as transport, public space, health care, etc. There is an urgent need for a decision support system which directs all processes that lead to decisions on security investment to be transparent and participatory.
DESSI’s goal is to support investment decisions by suggesting effective alternatives
The DESSI project (Decision Support on Security Investment) aims to develop a tool that will support decision-makers in situations, where different measures for a security-related problem are available. This enables a comparison and evaluation of different measures to promote transparency in decision-making and security policies. The comparison will be made within different dimensions that include benefits, threats and costs for a specific context/situation and possible security solutions. This approach will make the DESSI tool unique.
Security investment always includes a choice between different approaches to increasing security. DESSI makes this choice transparent by understanding the nature of a threat and describing and evaluating the security investment alongside its alternatives. The alternatives are identified or developed in a participatory process, including experts and stakeholders. As the views on the issue can be highly controversial, the inclusion of a broad range of relevant actors ensures that a wide spectrum of opinions is seriously taken on board in the assessment procedure.
The DESSI project will provide a web-based decision support system, which will give insight into the pros and cons of specific security investments. It will contribute to a transparent and participatory decision-making that accounts for context and multi-dimensionality of society. It will be useful for public authorities, developers of security solutions, commercial enterprises and for social organizations that can use the DESSI tool to make their own comprehensive assessment as an input to strategic discussions or public debate.
- (2014). ITA-Dossier: Sicherheit ist mehr als Technik!. Ita-Newsfeed. Retrieved from http://www.oeaw.ac.at/ita/projekte/news/ita-dossier-sicherheit-ist-mehr-als-technik.
- (2014). Security is more than technology! ITA dossier no. 7en (March 2014; Authors: Petra Wächter, Walter Peissl). Wien. doi:10.1553/ita-doss-007en.
- (2014). Sicherheit ist mehr als Technik! ITA-Dossier Nr. 7 (März 2014; AutorInnen: Petra Wächter, Walter Peissl). Wien. doi:10.1553/ita-doss-007.
- (2013). DESSI Training Material, FP7 Project Decision Support on Security Investment. Vienna..
- (2013). DESSI Manual v2, FP7 Project Decision Support on Security Investment. Vienna..
- (2013). Alternative Sicherheitslösungen. Ita-Newsfeed. Retrieved from http://www.oeaw.ac.at/ita/projekte/news/alternative-sicherheitsloesungen.
- (2012). Scenarios for security investment assessment, FP7 Project Decision Support on Security Investment (DESSI). Vienna/Copenhagen..
- (2012). DESSI System of Criteria, FP7 Project Decision Support on Security Investment. Vienna/Copenhagen..
- (2012). Systems of criteria in assessment procedures. Vienna..
- (2011). Dimensions in Security Investments. Vienna..
- (2011). Welche Investitionen für welche Sicherheit? ITA als Partner in neuem EU-Sicherheitsforschungsprojekt. Ita-Newsletter, März 2011, 3 f.Retrieved from http://epub.oeaw.ac.at/ita/ita-newsletter/NL0311.pdf#3.
, San Diego
Multidimensional and participatory decision-making – the example of security technologies
Annual Meeting of the Society for Social Studies of Science (4S)
DESSI – Idea, Methodology and Procedure
International DESSI Conference
EU Sicherheitsforschung – Systemgestaltung durch interdisziplinäre Beiträge
Konferenz: Sichere Zeiten? Gesellschaftliche Dimensionen der Sicherheitsforschung
DESSI – Multidimensional Decision-Making with Participatory Elements: The case of security technologies
A brief introduction into the DESSI method
Intl. Workshop 'Security in Court Houses'
Introduction to DESSI and it´s dimensions
DESSI 5th Consortium Meeting
'9/11’ als Startschuss zum Überwachungswahn? (Einleitungsvortrag)
Podiumsdiskussion im Rahmen der "Freiheit statt Angst"-Tage 2011
Introduction to DESSI and it’s dimensions
DESSI Dimensions Workshop „Making better security decisions – How do we get there?“
DESSI – Introduction to basic concepts of the DESSI methodology
DESSI Kick-off Meeting