Yvonne Franz studied geography at the University in Cologne and the University of Vienna where she also received her doctorate in urban geography in 2013. As a university assistant (prae-doc) at University of Vienna she coordinated the Erasmus Mundus Masters in Urban Studies 4CITIES and conducted extensive fieldwork in New York City und Berlin.
Following the completion of her doctorate, the successful approval of research proposals within the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe allowed her to join the Institute of Urban and Regional Research (ISR) as a post-doc researcher. Since 2013, she has been involved in ICEC and PNIG, both projects within the working group “Urban Transformation Processes”. She teaches at the University of Vienna and is co-organiser of the Vienna Summer School in Urban Studies and ARL PhD Summer School 2017.
Her research interests lie in the fields of urban geography with a special focus on neighbourhood development, urban revitalisation and gentrification as well as urban planning and governance. Comparative analysis with Amsterdam, Stockholm, Istanbul, New York City und Zagreb are part of her ongoing research collaborations.
- Urban places of arrival and urban housing market
- Super diversity
- Social innovation
- Urban planning and governance
- Urban revitalisation and gentrification
- Public space
- Comparative case study analysis
- Urban Living Labs
Memberships and additional functions
- Editorial Board Member of the peer-reviewed open access journal “Urban Planning”
- Member of Österreichischen Geographischen Gesellschaft
- Member of American Association of Geographers and American Planning Association
- Member in SEiSMiC (Societal Engagement in Science, Mutual Learning in Cities)
- Alumni der Universität Wien and European Geography Association (EGEA)
- Young Science Ambassador (OEAD)
- PostDoc Award 2018 of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy, University of Vienna
- Recognition Certificate by Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection Austria, 2015
- Veli-Pekka Niitamo Prize for best academic contribution for the ENoLL Summer School 2014
- Paper: Chances and Challenges for Social Urban Living Labs in Urban Research.
- Certificate of recognition from the Dr. Maria Schaumayer Stiftung 2014
- Bank Austria Award for Innovative Teaching 2013