Yvonne Franz studied geography at the University in Cologne and the University of Vienna where she also received her doctorate in urban geography in 2013. As a university assistant (prae-doc) at University of Vienna she coordinated the Erasmus Mundus Masters in Urban Studies 4CITIES and conducted extensive fieldwork in New York City und Berlin.
Following the completion of her doctorate, the successful approval of research proposals within the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe allowed her to join the Institute of Urban and Regional Research (ISR) as a post-doc researcher. Since 2013, she has been involved in ICEC and PNIG, both projects within the working group “Urban Transformation Processes”.
As university assistant (post-doc) since 2017, she has been teaching and researching at the University of Vienna, for instance within the INTERREG Central Europe Projekt „Integrating refugees in society and labour market through social innovation (SIforREF)“. Since 2020, she is the co-director of the master programme “Cooperative Urban and Regional Development” at the Postgraduate Center at University of Vienna.
At the ISR, she is involved in the JPI Urban Migration Project „HOUSE-IN: The Housing-Integration-Nexus: shaping exchange and innovation for migrants’ access to housing and social inclusion“ (project start: 2021) and contributes her expertise on housing and integration measures from a comparative perspective.
- Urban places of arrival and urban housing market
- Super diversity
- Urban revitalisation and gentrification
- Social innovation
- Urban planning and governance
- Public space
- Comparative case study analysis
- Urban Living Labs
- „HOUSE-IN: The Housing-Integration-Nexus: shaping exchange and innovation for migrants’ access to housing and social inclusion“
- “ICEC - Interethnic Coexistence in European Cities: A comparative and applied oriented analysis of neighbourhood-related policies”
- „PNIG - Practices and Policies for Neighbourhood Improvement: Towards Gentrification 2.0”
- PostDoc Award 2018 of the Faculty of Earth Sciences, Geography and Astronomy, University of Vienna
- Recognition Certificate by Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection Austria, 2015
- Veli-Pekka Niitamo Prize for best academic contribution for the ENoLL Summer School 2014
- Paper: Chances and Challenges for Social Urban Living Labs in Urban Research.
- Certificate of recognition from the Dr. Maria Schaumayer Stiftung 2014
- Bank Austria Award for Innovative Teaching 2013