Knowledge - Economy - Public
Scientific and Economic Societies in Vienna (1850–1925)
Processes of knowledge exchange between scholars, businesspeople, technicians, and the public reveal new insights into the changing semantics of Vienna as a location for both business and science. New aspects of the project are the function of civil societies as alliances between science and economy and their influence on the production and dissemination of knowledge in the context of the monarchy. This will be examined across associations.
Societies such as the Austrian Association of Engineers and Architects (Österreichischer Ingenieur- und Architektenverein), the Commerce Club of Lower Austria (Niederösterreichischer Gewerbeverein) or the Imperial-Royal Agricultural Society (k.k. Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft) maintained scientific lecture and journal series, carried out research contracts and international exhibitions, set technological standards and initiated the founding of museums as well as institutions of higher and public education. As scientific-economic associations, they made use of political, economic, and communicative resources. They promoted the exchange of knowledge and technology between different social groups. As a result, these associations played a significant role in shaping the urban landscape of business and science. The research project examines these long-term processes and contrasts them with developments in other European countries.
Realization of the project in connection with the Commission for the History and Philosophy of Sciences
Picture Credits: Meeting of the Austrian Association of Engineers and Architects in the Electrotechnical Institute of Technological College of Vienna, 10.04.1904, © Austrian Association of Engineers and Architects.