In 2015 the Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW) established the Innovation Fund “Research, Science and Society” to support extraordinarily innovative research projects and initiatives at the Academy and now invites to a 3rd round of applications in 2019.
Objectives of the programme
The programme is intended to enable funding for:
- innovative approaches, ideas or methods which other funding agencies are unable to fund for disciplinary or topical reasons or due to a high risk potential.
All staff and members of the Academy from all disciplines are entitled to apply. Member activities, collaborations and partnerships across classes or categories with institutes and commissions of the Academy, or multidisciplinary collaborations, as well as group submissions and submissions from junior scientists are especially welcome.
- The funding out of the Innovation Fund supports activities carried out at the Austrian Academy of Sciences. In well-founded cases the project may also be carried out at a research institute in Austria outside the Academy, however in close collaboration with the Academy.
- One application may be submitted per staff member and member; resubmission of a project from the previous two calls is not permitted.
- Group submissions should ensure an appropriate gender balance.
- A research facility may support multiple applications.
- Applicants must be prepared to proactively contribute to the public presentation of the programme and take part in associated events.
- The project runs for a maximum of 2 years. Projects should begin not later than 6 months after approval. The project term may be extended for up to 6 months, provided that no extra costs are incurred.
Amount of grant
The budget for each of the projects is a maximum of EUR 300,000. Overheads will not be paid. A total of EUR 2.4 million is available.
The grant would cover the following direct costs:
- staff costs (all staff costs must be budgeted based on contracts of employment– a realistic number of hours must be ensured)
- capital expenditure costs for scientific infrastructure (standard equipment such as, e.g., laboratory equipment may not be applied for)
- costs of consumables (office supplies for everyday use may not be applied for)
- other costs (e.g., fees for use of the infrastructure, travel expenses)
- Call begins: 15 March 2019
- Deadline: 15 May 2019, 12:00 (CET)
- All submissions which meet the necessary formal requirements will be presented to a jury comprised of members of the Academy of Sciences.
- The jury will select experts for the international review of the applications (two per application) based on their expertise.
- The jury will select the projects eligible for funding in the form of a recommendation to the Presiding Committee of the Academy of Sciences in November 2019.
- The award decision of the Presiding Committee of the Academy of Sciences is expected to be made in December 2019. The applicants will be notified immediately.
By submitting their application for this call, the applicants acknowledge that the related data and documents will be forwarded to the members of the jury and experts for the purpose of evaluation of the application and decision-making with regard to the award of grants.
Applications must be made in English by submitting four files (1–3: no protected or scanned electronic documents):
- application form, completed in full
- cost sheet, completed in full
- CVs of the applicants including list of publications
- scanned copy of the signed declaration of approval of a representative of the research facility
- (Short project title/acronym)_Proposal
- (Short project title/acronym)_Costs
- (Short project title/acronym)_CV+Publ
- (Short project title/acronym)_Signature
Deadline for submission
Please send you applications to the following address by 15 May 2019, 12:00 (CET): programmmanagement(at)oeaw.ac.at