Nicki Holighaus studied mathematics and theoretical computer sciences at Justus–Liebig–University, Gießen, Germany. He graduated in 2010. After three years of doctoral studies at the University of Vienna, Austria, where he worked as a research assistant at the Numerical Harmonic Analysis Group (NuHAG), he successfully defended his PhD thesis "Theory and implementation of adaptive time-frequency transforms” in October 2013.
Since August 2012 he is part of the Acoustic Research Institute's workgroup "Mathematics and Signal Processing in Acoustics", where he works on theoretical and applied aspects of frames and adapted time-frequency representations.
His research focuses on advanced time-frequency methods in signal processing, including time-frequency analysis, the mathematical theory and design of adaptive and adapted time-frequency representations, time-frequency processing in acoustics and the use of time-frequency representations in machine learning for acoustics.
Current research projects: MERLIN
- Theory and application of warped time-frequency representations
- Function spaces and discretization for structured continuous frames
- Structure of time-frequency phase
- Signal processing with time-frequency phase
- Deep learning with time-frequency features
- Neural audio generation
- Audio inpainting with generative neural networks
- Time-frequency processing and perception
- Marafioti A.; Perraudin N.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P. (2019) Adversarial Generation of Time-Frequency Features with application in audio synthesis. Proceedings of the 36th International Conference on Machine LearningProceedings of Machine Learning Research (K. Chaudhuri and Salakhutdinov, R., eds.). PMLR, Long Beach, California, USA Bd. 97 S. 4352-4362.
- Holighaus N.; Koliander G.; Pr uša Z.; Abreu L. D. (2019) Non-iterative phaseless reconstruction from wavelet transform magnitude. Proceedings of the DAFx19.
- Marafioti A.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P.; Perraudin N. (2019) Audio inpainting of music by means of neural networks. 146th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society. Dublin.
- Holighaus N.; Wiesmeyr C.; Balazs P. (2018) Continuous warped time-frequency representations - Coorbit spaces and discretization. Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis.
- Perraudin N.; Holighaus N.; Sondergaard P. L.; Balazs P. (2018) Designing Gabor windows using convex optimization. Applied Mathematics and Computation, Bd. 330, S. 266 - 287.
- Perraudin N.; Holighaus N.; Majdak P.; Balazs P. (2018) Inpainting of Long Audio Segments with Similarity Graphs. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Bd. 26, S. 1079-1090.
- Necciari T; Balazs P.; Pr uša Z.; Majdak P.; Derrien O. (2018) Audlet Filter Banks: A Versatile Analysis/Synthesis Framework using Auditory Frequency Scales. Applied Sciences, Bd. 8, S. 96-117.
- Pruša Z.; Holighaus N. (2017) Non-iterative Filter Bank Phase (Re)Construction. Proceedings of the 25th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO-2017),. Kos S. 952-956.
- Pruša Z.; Holighaus N. (2017) Phase Vocoder Done Right. Proceedings of 25th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO-2017). Kos S. 1006-1010.
- Pruša Z.; Holighaus N. (2017) Real-Time Audio Visualization With Reassigned Non-uniform Filter Banks. in Proceeding of the 19th International Conference on Digital Audio Effects, DAFx-16. Brno S. 42950.
- Balazs P.; Holighaus N.; Necciari T.; Stoeva D. T. (2017) Frame Theory for Signal Prcoessing in Psychoacoustics. In: Excursions in Harmonic Analysis Vol. 5. The February Fourier Talks at the Norbert Wiener Center.. Springer, Basel S. 225-268.
- Holighaus N.; Wiesmeyr C.; Balazs P. (2015) Time-frequency representations for nonlinear frequency scales - Coorbit spaces and discretization. Inproceedings of SampTA 2015.
- Shuman D. I. (2015) Spectrum-adapted tight wavelet and vertex-frequency frames. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Bd. 63, S. 4223 - 4235.
- Holighaus N.; Pr uša Z.; Wiesmeyr C. (2015) Designing tight filter bank frames for nonlinear frequency scales. Inproceedings of SampTA 2015.
- Holighaus N.; Hampejs M.; Wiesmeyr C.; Toth L. (2014) Representing and counting the subgroups of the group Zm x Zn. Journal of Numbers, Bd. 2014, S. online.
- Schörkhuber C.; Klapuri A.; Holighaus N.; Dörfler M. (2014) A matlab toolbox for efficient perfect reconstruction time-frequency transforms with log-frequency resolution. Proceedings of the 53rd AES international conference on semantic audio. London, UK S. CD-ROM.
- Holighaus N. (2014) Structure of nonstationary Gabor frames and their dual systems. Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, Bd. 37, S. 442-463.
- Holighaus N.; Dörfler M.; Velasco G. A.; Grill T. (2013) A Framework for Invertible, Real-Time Constant-Q Transforms. Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, IEEE Transactions on, Bd. 21, S. 775 -785.
- Pruša Z.; Sondergaard P. L.; Balazs P.; Holighaus N. (2013) Real-Time Audio Processing in the Large Time Frequency Analysis Toolbox. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research. Laboratoire de Mechanique et d"Acoustique, Publications of L.M.A., Marseill, France S. 1059-1062.
- Pr uša Z.; Sondergaard P. L.; Balazs P.; Holighaus N. (2013) A Matlab/Octave toolbox for sound processing. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Computer Music Multidisciplinary Research (CMMR 2013). Laboratoire de Mechanique et d"Acoustique, Publications of L.M.A., Marseill, France S. 299-314.