I2P International Internship Program
I2P is a structured internship program for pre-doctoral students
The International Internship Program (I2P) of the GMI is for students interested in doing a PhD. I2P is a structured internship program that provides promising young scientists the opportunity to carry out cutting-edge research at one of Europe’s leading life science research centers. Interns will be fully integrated into a research group and will be an important part of the GMI community.
These competitive internships are targeted at students who have finished or are in their final year of a bachelor’s program and students enrolled in a Master's program in search of a hosting institute for their thesis. The internships offer:
- Full integration into a research group with access to GMI's core research facilities
- Training on how to perform scientific research at the highest level
- Guidance on career development and PhD opportunities
- A competitive salary
- Travel reimbursement for international students
Research at the GMI covers a broad range of topics including molecular, cellular, and developmental biology as well as biochemistry, evolution, and quantitative and population genetics.
In addition to being part of a research group at the GMI, the interns will participate in journal clubs, progress meetings, social activities, and a diversity of other mentoring events.
Requirements and Application documents:
- An academic CV that outlines academic training and details of previous internships (2 pages max.)
- A cover letter that (i) describes previous research experience, (ii) identifies the GMI research group that you would like to join, and (iii) explains the choice of the research group (1 pages max.)
- Two reference letters, one of which should be from a mentor who supervised a previous research project.
The duration of the internships will be decided by individual groups but is expected to be between three and six months. There will be two application deadlines each year. For summer internships, the application deadline is April1st and the students are expected to start in the following June or July. For the winter internships, the application deadline is December 1st and students are expected to start in the following February. Applications should be sent as a single PDF file (Surname_Name.pdf) to internships(at)gmi.oeaw.ac.at.