The Astronomical Commission was founded on March 3, 1967, by the
‘Mathematisch Naturwissenschaftlichen Klasse’ (Section of Mathematics and the Natural Sciences)
and renamed on October 15, 1992 in Commission for Astronomy. First head
of the Commission was K. Ferrari d'Occhiepo, w.M. (*9.12.1907 – ✝18.3.2007).
The Commission for Astronomy is an advisory board in the Section of Mathematics and the Natural Sciences.
The Commission was closed as per 31.12.2012.
The refoundation of the Commission for Astronomy took place at the constitutive meeting on May 22, 2013, with new
members and under a new chair. The Commission for Astronomy is still allocated within the Section of Mathematics
and Natural Sciences of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.