... is a data analyst and specialises in broad areas of digital cultural heritage data and information management.
Over the last decade, he has played an influential role in the initiation and development of several large-scale DH projects funded by the European Commission (EC). Most notably, he was one of the founding members of Europeana and Archives Portal Europe, taking care of metadata aggregation, semantic analysis, standardization, and system interoperability, as well as various user and business-oriented tasks. He studied in the UK and was one of the earliest adopters of XML in archaeology. In Italy, he worked on CIDOC-CRM data integration. He also worked for Wessex Archaeology and the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo where he brought digital methodologies to field archaeology and library/museum practices.
Since he joined the ACDH, Go has contributed to the development of the Virtual Language Observatory (VLO) and the Component MetaData Infrastructure (CMDI) as a member of the CLARIN metadata curation team. He has been involved with the design and specifications of the Curation Module and Dashboard to make language resources and tools more accessible and has done extensive research on the web traffic of the VLO. In the Parthenos project, he has evaluated resource discovery tools for the cultural heritage domains and has set-up and enhanced the Metaphactory semantic platform in order to integrate the CIDOC-CRM extension ontology and RDF resources aggregated from European research infrastructures. In addition, he has coordinated the F.J. Bieber Collection project for the ARCHE data repository.
In terms of academic research, he is currently interested in data reuse and repurpose and he has been working on a number of experimental projects. Mashing up a set of APIs to explore historical textual data has resulted in in the James Cook Dynamic Journal and a follow-up project CAROL (Cross Assistant Reading for Open Library), both of which combine metadata search and full-text/content search to support close reading by providing additional contextual information via Natural Language Processing. The WiQiZi project utilizes gamification techniques, deployed through APIs and SPARQL, to crowd source data curation and improve the quality of Wikipedia and DBpedia resources. The RDF Beams project seeks to create a “map” of RDF traversals across cultural heritage Linked Open Data to display the current difficulties in data integration and automation.
Currently, Go also teaches a master course at the University of Vienna for Open Research/Science.
- Go Sugimoto,. 2019. Introduction to Populating a Website with API Data. In: The Programming Historian,.
- Go Sugimoto,. 2019. Cross Assistant Reading for Open Library (CAROL).
- Sugimoto, Go. 2018. Who is open data for and why could it be hard to use it in the digital humanities? Federated application programming interfaces for interdisciplinary research. In: International Journal of Metadata, Semantics and Ontologies (IJMSO)12, p. 204-218. doi:10.1504/IJMSO.2017.10014806.
- Go Sugimoto,. 2018. WiQiZi.
- Ďurčo, Matej, Matteo Lorenzini, and Go Sugimoto. 2018. Something will be connected - Semantic mapping from CMDI to Parthenos Entities. In: CLARIN, (Ed.),Selected papers from the CLARIN Annual Conference 2017,Budapest: Linköping University Electronic Press, p. 12.
- Sugimoto, Go. 2018. Examining Web User Flows and Behaviours in CLARIN Ecosystem. In: CLARIN, (Ed.),Selected papers from the CLARIN Annual Conference 2017,Budapest: Linköping University Electronic Press, p. 15.
- Sugimoto, Go. 2018. Revitalizing Wikipedia/DBpedia Open Data by Gamification - SPARQL and API Experiment for Edutainment in Digital Humanities. In: Girón Palau, Jonathan and Isabel Galina Russell (Eds.),Digital Humanities 2018. Puentes - Bridges. Book of Abstracts / Libro de resúmenes,Mexico City: Red de Humanidades Digitales A. C.
- Sugimoto, Go. 2017. Battle Without FAIR and Easy Data in Digital Humanities: An Empirical Research on the Challenges of Open Data and APIs for the James Cook Dynamic Journal. In: Garoufallou, Emmanouel, Sirje Virkus, Rania Siatri, and Damiana Koutsomiha (Eds.),Metadata and Semantic Research,Tallinn: Springer, Cham, p. 315-326. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-70863-8_30.
- Go Sugimoto,. 2017. James Cook Dynamic Journal. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-70863-8_30.
- Sugimoto, Go. 2017. Number game - Experience of a European research infrastructure (CLARIN) for the analysis of web traffic. In: Selected papers from the CLARIN Annual Conference 2016 Aix-en-Provence 26–28 October 2016,Aix-en-Provence: HAL.
- Ostojic, Davor, Go Sugimoto, and Matej Ďurčo. 2017. Curation module in action-preliminary findings on VLO metadata quality. In: Proceedings of the CLARIN Annual Conference 2016Proceedings of the CLARIN Annual Conference,Aix-en-Provence.
- King, Margaret, Davor Ostojic, Matej Ďurčo, and Go Sugimoto. 2016. Variability of the Facet Values in the VLO–a Case for Metadata Curation. In: CLARIN, (Ed.),Selected Papers from the CLARIN Annual Conference 2015,Wroclaw: Linköping University Electronic Press, p. 25–44.
- Sugimoto, Go. 2015. Europeana and digital archives of the future – the past and the future by a founding member of Europeana. In: Yanagi, Yoshio and Makoto Okamoto (Eds.),What are the digital archives? - theory and practice,Tokyo: Bensei Publishing Inc.
Publications (Before ACDH)
Sugimoto, Go. 2013. Archives Portal Europe: a new frontier in digital space. Uncommon culture 2/2: Collections development. http://journals.uic.edu/ojs/index.php/UC/article/view/4754/3692
Sugimoto, Go. 2012. State of the art – digital access to European cultural heritage information (dedicated to the implementation of the best practice in Japanese digital archaeological information). Journal of Computer Archaeology. Bensey publishing Inc, Tokyo. https://www.archaeo-info.org/%E8%AB%96%E6%96%87%E8%AA%8C/%E7%99%BA%E8%A1%8C%E6%B8%88/
Sugimoto, Go and Akira Igarashi. 2009. Dividing wall collapsed? – JAD2 Survey and ACT archaeology attempt to close the gap between archaeology and ICT. In Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology 2007 proceedings. https://proceedings.caaconference.org/paper/136_sugimoto_igarashi_caa2007/https://proceedings.caaconference.org/files/2007/136_Sugimoto_Igarashi_CAA2007.pdf
Sugimoto, Go. 2008. Triple O (Ontology of Ontology) – A digital data survey for Japanese archaeology. In CAA2006 - Digital Discovery. Exploring New Frontiers in Human Heritage CAA2006 Computer Applications and Quantitative Methods in Archaeology. Proceedings of the 34th Conference, Fargo, United States, April 2006, pp. 450-459. http://dx.doi.org/10.15496/publikation-3017https://proceedings.caaconference.org/files/2006/CD47_Sugimoto_CAA2006.pdf
Sugimoto, Go and Akira Igarashi. 2007. Digital Data Survey for Japanese Archaeology (JAD2) part II (Individuals). Nihon kokogaku - Journal of the Japanese Archaeological Association 14/24, pp. 107-122. https://doi.org/10.11215/nihonkokogaku1994.14.24_107https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/nihonkokogaku1994/14/24/14_24_107/_article/-char/en
Sugimoto, Go. 2007. Face to face - A comparative study on the use of digital data in archaeology: UK versus Japan. Hermon, Sorin, and F. Niccolucci (Eds.), Communicating cultural heritage in the 21st century the Chiron project and its research opportunities. Archaeolingua. Budapest. pp. 95-122. http://public-repository.epoch-net.org/publications/CHIRON/communicating_CH.pdf
Sugimoto, Go, Achille Felicetti, Cinzia Perlingieri, and Sorin Hermon. 2007. CIDOC-CRM spider: Stonehenge as an example of semantic data integration. In VAST: International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Intelligent Cultural Heritage proceedings. http://dx.doi.org/10.2312/VAST/VAST07/047-054 DOI: 10.2312/VAST/VAST07/047-054
Hermon, Sorin, Go Sugimoto, and Hubert Mara. 2007. The London Charter and its applicability. In: VAST. International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Intelligent Cultural Heritage 2007 Proceedings. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272621806_The_London_Charter_and_its_Applicability
Sugimoto, Go. 2006. Beauty or beast?: A Review of the CIDOC-CRM applications and thesauri in archaeology. In: The e-volution of Information Communication Technology in cultural heritage - Where Hi-Tech touches the past: Risks and challenges for the 21st century. CIPA/VAST/EG/EuroMed 2006. EPOCH publication. Archaeolingua. pp. 203-208. http://public-repository.epoch-net.org/publications/VAST2006/short0.pdf
Sugimoto, Go. 2006. Eyes of art – Archaeological information and digital archiving from the viewpoint of art. In: Journal of computer archaeology 11/2. Bensey publishing Inc, Tokyo. pp. 23-36. http://bensei.jp/index.php?main_page=product_book_info&products_id=248
Sugimoto, Go. 2005. Conservation and multiple perspectives 2. In: Museum Management Gakkai Kaiho 36/9/4, Tokyo, pp. 3-12. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc166Mx8ncAhVjb5oKHStoAbUQFjADegQIAhAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jmma-net.org%2Fcabinet%2F%3Faction%3Dcabinet_action_main_download%26block_id%3D38%26room_id%3D1%26cabinet_id%3D2%26file_id%3D14%26upload_id%3D56&usg=AOvVaw11J_bY6TLbAV861_yrz59m
Sugimoto, Go. 2005. Conservation and multiple perspectives 1. In: Museum Management Gakkai Kaiho 35/9/3, Tokyo, pp. 2-9. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=2ahUKEwjc166Mx8ncAhVjb5oKHStoAbUQFjACegQIAxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jmma-net.org%2Fcabinet%2F%3Faction%3Dcabinet_action_main_download%26block_id%3D38%26room_id%3D1%26cabinet_id%3D2%26file_id%3D15%26upload_id%3D57&usg=AOvVaw1Tj0q0hn_AWhCYpBmDvKUN
Sugimoto, Go. 2004. Archaeological heritage management and service - The landscape of archaeological events in Britain. In: Dialogue of time and space - Archaeology in Mita, Department of Ethnology and Archaeology 25 Anniversary Theses. Rokuichi-shobo, Tokyo, pp. 349-355. http://rnavi.ndl.go.jp/mokuji_html/000007358984.html
Sugimoto, Go. 2003. A blueprint of XML application in archaeology – Aerial photograph database of Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record in the UK. Journal of computer archaeology 10/1. Bensey publishing Inc, Tokyo, pp. 13-26. https://www.archaeo-info.org/%E8%AB%96%E6%96%87%E8%AA%8C/%E7%99%BA%E8%A1%8C%E6%B8%88/
Sugimoto, Go. 2002. eXtensible Archaeology: An XML Application for an archaeological aerial photograph database. Archaeological Computing Newsletter 60/2002 Winter, Institute of archaeology, Oxford, pp. 9-16. http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/library/browse/details.xhtml?recordId=3070035&recordType=Journal