The ACDH-CH offers a broad portfolio of services to support the application of digital methods and tools in the humanities. We cooperate with researchers and research teams within and outside the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
What we offer
To ensure adequate support of projects, it is crucial for the ACDH-CH to be involved right from the planning phase.
Our services cover the whole lifecycle of a research project:
Before the project:
preliminary consulting and support in the project proposal stage
During the project:
data management including modelling, curation, processing and presentation as well as development of bespoke applications according to the project plan
After the project:
long-term preservation of project data, maintenance of the services and applications developed
After a free initial consultation, costs are calculated in person months according to the OeAW salary scheme depending on the effort and complexity of the work to be performed by the ACDH-CH, for which sufficient resources need to be allocated in project budgets.
To get in touch please contact us via acdh-helpdesk(at)oeaw.ac.at
- evaluation of options and potential benefits concerning the integration of digital tools or methods
- suggestions regarding tools or platforms suited for providing the required or desired functionalities
- support in formulating DH-related parts of grant proposals
- assistance in drafting data management plans including a feasibility check
- sharing experiences regarding legal issues
Legal issues might affect your project when you are dealing with data or software protected either by copyright, personal data protection or licenses. For more information on legal aspects you will be able to find a general introduction into the most common topics and concepts here.
- consultation with regards to digitization planning (timeline, scan parameters, formats, workflows, OCR, preservation)
- metadata curation (jointly with the library of the Austrian Academy of Sciences BAS:IS, the ACDH-CH provides an instance of the software Goobi)
- use of premises and equipment at the Digitization Centre (workstations need to be pre-booked via a booking system. All users must receive initial consultation and a technical instruction for the use of various scanners and software before utilizing the Digitization Centre)
If you are interested in using the facilities and equipment of the ACDH-CH Digitization Centre please contact acdh_digitization(at)oeaw.ac.at.
Data Modelling and Curation
We offer support in collecting, organizing, and accessing large quantities of data by
- modelling databases or text encoding,
- custom web-based forms for editing data,
- maintenance and publication of controlled vocabularies [ACDH Vocabularies],
- metadata quality assurance,
- measures for enhancing the interoperability of data, and
- preparation of digital data for long term archiving [ARCHE Deposition Process].
Development and maintenance of Data Applications
In addition to its data-related services, the ACDH-CH also provides corresponding technical solutions.
The ACDH-CH’s software products are generally specialized digital tools allowing the production, description, visualization, annotation and analysis of a wide range of data types. The institute strives to provide optimal software solutions while trying to keep development and maintenance costs to a minimum. The team continuously evaluates existing solutions to expand its portfolio of services, but also engages in the customized adaptation of available open-access software or the development of new, bespoke solutions, tailored to the specific data models and needs of the project and users.
Besides developing software, we also host applications on our servers, collaborating to this end with the Computing Centre of the Academy (ARZ).
- are mostly web-based,
- support collaborative approaches,
- are standards conformant,
- have APIs for programmatic access to data, and
- are reusable.
The services aim to support the following phases of the research process:
- data import and export
- data management and curation
- format conversions
- data analysis, processing and enrichment (especially NLP processing)
- indexing and searching, exploration and browsing
- online viewing/presentation (3D models, high-resolution images)
- interactive visualization of geospatial data on geographic maps (GIS), of numeric or tabular data as various charts, and of network/graph
- different options for data retrieval
- download of the raw data
- REST API service
- SPARQL endpoint to query RDF data
- download of metadata
The ACDH-CH takes care of
- long term archiving of data in a certified repository with two backup instances,
- support in metadata creation,
- conversion of data to formats suitable for long-term preservation,
- persistent identifiers for stable referencing, and
- metadata propagation to large-scale data aggregators, like Europeana or CLARIN, to ensure discoverability and wide-spread dissemination.
For preservation and sharing of digital or digitized data resources you can find more information on ARCHE - A Research Centre for the HumanitiEs or contact us.