Research Group: Population Dynamics and Forecasting
Job Title: Research Group Leader
Phone: +43 1 515 81 7707
Fax: +43 1 515 81 7730
- 5/1983: PhD in Theory of Systems, Control Theory and Systems Analysis from All-Union Research Institute for Systems Studies of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
- 6/1982-9/1982: Summer training program, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria
- 3/1975: Moscow Aviation University, Control Theory and Systems Studies
- 04/2002 – present: Leader of the research group on Population Dynamics and Forecasting at the Vienna Institute of Demography, Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- 7/1991 – 2003: Researcher and lecturer at the Population Research Centre, Faculty of Spatial Sciences, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
- 04/1991: Guest scholar and research associate at the Population Project, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria
- 4/1989 - 7/1991: Head of the WHO Collaborating Centre for design and application of models of chronic non-communicable diseases for modelling morbidity and mortality.
- 6/1984 – 7/1991: Research scholar at the Population Project, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria
- 10/1976 - 5/1986: Senior research scholar, head of the Demographic Group in the Department of Methods for System’s Modelling, All-Union Research Institute for Systems Studies of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
- 3/1975 – 10/1976: Engineer at the Institute for Control Sciences of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
- Demographic modelling
- Population projections
- Demographic software development
- Applications of multistate demography
- Soviet and Russian demographic studies
- Data processing and presentation
- Population-environment interactions
- Sanderson, W.C., Scherbov, S., 2010, Remeasuring Aging. Science 329, 1287-1288 (September 10, 2010)
- Lutz, W., W. Sanderson, and S. Scherbov. 2008. The coming acceleration of global population ageing. Nature 451: 716-719 (January 20, 2008) http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v451/n7179/full/nature06516.html
- Sanderson, W.C., Scherbov, S.: Average remaining lifetimes can increase as human populations age. Nature 435: 811-813 (June 9, 2005). http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7043/abs/nature03593.html
- Lutz, Wolfgang, Brian O'Neill und Sergei Scherbov. 2003. Europe’s population at a turning. Science 299: 1991-1992, 28 March 2003.
- Lutz, Wolfgang, Warren C. Sanderson und Sergei Scherbov. 2001. The end of world population growth. Nature 412: 543-545, 2 August 2001.
- Scherbov, Sergei und Harrie van Vianen. 1999. Marital and Fertility careers of Russian women born between 1910 and 1935. Population and Development Review 25(1): 129-143.
- O'Neill, Brian, Sergei Scherbov und Wolfgang Lutz. 1999. The long-term effect on population size of the timing of fertility decline. Population and Development Review 25(4): 749-756.
- Lutz, Wolfgang, Warren C. Sanderson und Sergei Scherbov.1997. Doubling of world population unlikely. Nature 387: 803-805, 19 June 1997.