Research Group: Population economics
Job Title: research group leader
Phone: +43 1 313 36 7742
Fax: +43 1 313 36 907742
- Dr.rer.pol. (PhD) in Economics, University of Rostock, Germany (2001)
- Diplom-Volkswirt in Economics, University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany (1994)
- Since 2014: Leader of the Research Group “Population Economics” at VID
- 2008-2014: Senior Researcher at VID
- 2005-2008: Juniorprofessor at Max-Planck-Institute of Demographic Research and University of Rostock, Germany
- 1999-2004: Lecturer at Centre for Health Economics and Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, UK
- 1994-1999: Teaching and Research Assistant at University of Rostock, Germany
- Population Economics
- Health Economics
- Applied Industrial Organization Theory
- Applied Contract Theory
- Life-Cycle Modelling
- FWF Stand-Alone Project “Medical Progress, Health Expenditure and Population Ageing (MEDPRO)” (Project Number P 26184-G11); 2014-2016.
- Co-Organiser of the European Workshop on Labour Markets and Demographic Change 2006- 2013 (joint with Carsten Ochsen, University of Rostock)
- NoEG 2012 programme committee
- Young Economists’ Spring Meeting: programme committee for Oxford, 2000, and Leuven, 2003
Affiliations and Memberships
- Gesundheitsökonomischer Ausschuss des Vereins für Socialpolitik (Committee on Health Economics of the German Economic Association)
- Rostock Center for Demographic Change: research fellow
- European Economic Association, Nationalökonomische Gesellschaft, Verein für Socialpolitik
- Optimal Choice of Health and Retirement in a Life-Cycle Model, Journal of Economic Theory, in press, 2015 (with S. Wrzaczek, A. Prskawetz and G. Feichtinger).
- Manipulation and Auditing of Public Service Contracts, European Journal of Political Economy 32, 251-267, 2013 (with L. Siciliani).
- Externalities in a Life Cycle Model with Endogenous Survival, Journal of Mathematical Economics 47, 627-641, 2011 (with S. Wrzaczek, A. Prskawetz and G. Feichtinger).
- Optimal Public Provision of Nursing Homes and the Role of Information, Journal of Health Economics 30, 795-810, 2011 (with R. Nuscheler).
- The Reproductive Value as Part of the Shadow Price of Population, Demographic Research 24, 709-718, 2011 (with G. Feichtinger, A. Prskawetz and S. Wrzaczek).
- The Reproductive Value in Distributed Optimal Control Models, Theoretical Population Biology, 77, 164-170, 2010 (with S. Wrzaczek, A. Prskawetz and G. Feichtinger).
- Recognizing Progeny in the Value of Life, Economics Letters 107, 17-21, 2010 (with S. Wraczeck and J. Oeppen).
- Performance Indicators for Quality with Costly Falsification, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy 18, 1137-1154, 2009 (with L. Siciliani).
- Minimum Quality Standards and Market Dominance in Vertically Differentiated Duopoly, International Journal of Industrial Organization 25, 275-290, 2007.
- Direct to Consumer Advertising in Pharmaceutical Markets, Journal of Health Economics 25, 102-130, 2006 (with K.R. Brekke).
Recent Working Papers
- Population Structure and Consumption Growth: Evidence from National Transfer Accounts, VID Working Paper 3/2015, 2015 (with K. Prettner).
- Saving the Public from the Private? Incentives and Outcomes in Dual Practice, Vienna University of Technology: Econ Working Paper 2013/02, 2013 (with R. Nuscheler).
- Growth and Welfare Effects of Health Care in Knowledge Based Economies, Vienna University of Technology: Econ Working Paper 2012/03, 2012 (with K. Prettner).
- Savings and Health Investments under Risk Aversion Towards Length of Life – LEPAS Conference Proceedings 2010-15 , 2010 (with J. Holler and A. Prskawetz).