Maria Rita Testa
Research Group: Comparative European Demography
Job Title: Senior Research Scientist
Phone: +43 1 515 81 7708
Project: Reproductive decision-making and human capital - www.fertilityeducation.at
- Laurea cum laude in Political Sciences at the University of Rome »La Sapienza«
- PhD in Demography at the University of Florence, Department of Statistics
- 1995-1997 Research assistant at the Department of Quantitative Methods for the Social Sciences, University of Rome »La Sapienza«, Italy.
- 1997-1999 PhD student at the Department of Statistics »Giuseppe Parenti«, University of Florence, Italy.
- Spring 1999 Visiting research scientist at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria.
- 1999-2001 Research associate at the Department of Statistics, University of Milan-Bicocca, Italy
- Research scientist at the Vienna Institute of Demography of the Austrian Academy of Sciences since 2001
- Dynamics of fertility in Europe
- Family size ideals, desires and expectations in Europe
- Multilevel models
- Duration models
- Testa, Maria Rita and Stuart Basten. 2014. Certainty of meeting fertility intentions declines in Europe during the ‘Great Recession’. Demographic Research 31(23): 687-734. more
- Testa, Maria Rita, Laura Cavalli and Alessandro Rosina (2014) The effect of couple disagreement about child-timing intentions: a parity-specific approach. Population and Development Review 40(1):31-53
- Testa, Maria Rita (2014) On the positive correlation between education and fertility intentions in Europe: Individual- and country-level evidence. Advances in Life Course Research (doi: 10.1016/j.alcr.2014.01.005 ) (in Press)
- Testa, Maria Rita. 2012. Couple disagreement about short-term fertility desires in Austria: Effects on intentions and contraceptive behaviour. Demographic Research 26(3): 63-98. more
- Testa, Maria Rita, Cavalli Laura and Alessandro Rosina. 2011. Couples’ childbearing behaviour in Italy: which of the partners is leading it? Vienna Yearbook of Population Research Vol.9: 157-178.. more
- Testa, Maria Rita, Sobotka, Tomáš and S. Philip Morgan. 2011. Reproductive decision-making: towards improved theoretical, methodological and empirical approaches. Vienna Yearbook of Population Research Vol.9: 1-9. more
- Rosina, Alessandro, and Maria Rita Testa. 2009. Couples’ first child intentions and disagreement: An analysis of the Italian case. European Journal of Population. 25(4): 487-502.
- Billari Francesco C., Dimiter Philipov and Maria Rita Testa. 2009. Attitudes, norms, and perceived behavioural control: explaining fertility intentions in Bulgaria. European Journal of Population. 25(4): 439 - 465
- Vitali, Agnese, Francesco C. Billari, Alexia Prskawetz and Maria Rita Testa. 2009. Preference theory and low fertility: A comparative perspective. European Journal of Population. 25(4): 413 - 438.
- Lutz, Wolfgang, Testa, Maria Rita, and Dustin Penn. 2006. Population density is a key factor in declining human fertility. Population and Environment 28: 69-81. Published online on March 20, 2007.
- Testa, Maria Rita, and Laurent Toulemon. 2006. Family formation in France: individual preferences and subsequent outcomes. Vienna Yearbook of Population Research. 41-75.
- Testa, M.R., and Grilli L. 2006. The influence of childbearing regional contexts on ideal family size in Europe. Population. English Edition. 61(1-2), 109-138
- Goldstein, Joshua R., Wolfgang Lutz and Maria Rita Testa. 2003. The emergence of sub-replacement family size ideals in Europe. Population Research and Policy Review. 22 (5-6): 479-496.