Research Group: Demography of Austria
Job Title: Deputy Research Group Leader
- 1987-1992 Studies in Sociology at the University of Mannheim, Germany. Secondary subject: statistics. M.A. thesis: “Einkommensunterschiede zwischen Männern und Frauen in den 80er Jahren”. (Income inequality between men and women in the 1980's.) Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Andreas Diekmann.
- 1998 PhD thesis: “Zur Dynamik von Ehescheidungen”. (On the dynamics of divorce risk), Faculty of Law and Economics, University of Berne, Switzerland. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Andreas Diekmann and Prof. Dr. Klaus Armingeon. Mark: summa cum laude
- 2005 Habilitation "Causal Analysis in Population Studies: Theoretical Considerations and Empirical Applications to Fertility". Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, University of Berne, Switzerland. Venia Legendi for Sociology.
- 1992-1998 Lecturer at the University of Berne, Switzerland, Faculty of Law and Economics, Institute for Sociology, Department of Prof. Dr. Andreas Diekmann.
- 1998-2000 research scientist at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin, Research Centre “Sociology and the Study of the Life Course”, headed by Prof. Dr. Karl Ulrich Mayer.
- Summer of 2000 visiting research scientist at the Duke University, Durham, North Carolina.
- Summer of 2001 participated at the YSSP Young Scientist Summer Program, International Institute for Applied System Analysis (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria.
- 2000-2002 research scientist at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Laboratory of Contemporary European Fertility and Family Dynamics, headed by Prof. Dr. Jan Hoem.
- Since september 2002 research scientist at the Vienna Institute of Demography of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
- Summer term 2004: Visiting research scientist at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Professor of Sociology.
- Social demography
- Family sociology
- Social inequality
- Methods of social research
- Engelhardt, Henriette and Alexia Prskawetz. 2004. On the Changing Correlation Between Fertility and Female Employment over Space and Time. European Journal of Population 20: 35-62.
- Engelhardt, Henriette, Tomas Kögel, and Alexia Prskawetz. 2004. Fertility and Female Employment Reconsidered: A Macro-level Time-series Analysis. Population Studies 58: 109-120.
- DiPrete, Thomas A. and Henriette Engelhardt. 2004. Estimating Causal Effects with Matching Methods in the Presence and Absence of Bias Cancellation. Sociological Methods & Research 32: 1-28.
- DiPrete, Thomas A., S. Philip Morgan, Henriette Engelhardt, and Hana Pacalova. 2003. Do Cross-National Differences in the Costs of Children Generate Cross-National Differences in Fertility Rates? Population Research and Policy Review, 22: 439-477.
- Engelhardt, Henriette. 2002. Zur Dynamik von Ehescheidungen: Theoretische und empirische Analysen. Berlin: Duncker & Humblot.
- Diekmann, Andreas and Henriette Engelhardt. 1999. The Social Inheritance of Divorce: Effects of Parent's Family Type in Postwar Germany. American Sociological Review 64: 783-793.
back to staff list