Research Group: Comparative European Demography
Job Title: Senior Scientist
Phone: +43 1 313 36 7711
Fax: +43 1 313 36 907711
- Studies in Mathematical Statistics, Department of Mathematics at the University of Sofia
- PhD in 1988 in Demography and Economics at the University for National and World Economy, Sofia.
- Received Certificate in Demography in 1994 at the Office of Population Research at the Princeton University.
- Scientific degree: Senior scientist (habilitation)
- 1977-1982 Research associate: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria
- 1982-1987 Scientist: Institute of Economics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- 1987-1990 Chief: Center for Economic Development, Bulgarian Economic Association
- 1990-1993 Scientist: Institute of Demography, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- 1993-1994 Visiting Fellow: Office of Population Research, Princeton University, NJ
- 1995-1998 Senior scientist at the Institute of Demography, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- 1998-2003 Data Laboratory at the Max-Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany; Team leader at Division 2
- Teaching activities at the Faculty of Economics and the Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Sofia
- Joined the Vienna Institute of Demography in April 2003 as a research group leader for the group Comparative European Demography.
- Demography of Central and Eastern Europe
- Issues of family formation and fertility in Europe
- Postponement of fertility and cohabitation
- Philipov, Dimiter und Juergen Dorbritz. 2002. Demographic consequences of the transition in countries in central and eastern Europe. Council of Europe, Strasbourg.
- Philipov, Dimiter. (forthcoming). Low fertility in Central and Eastern Europe: Culture or economy? International Perspectives on Low Fertility: Trends, Theories and Policies. IUSSP working group on low fertility Conference, Tokyo 2001.
- Billari, Francesco und Dimiter Philipov. (forthcoming). Interrelations between education and timing of union formation: the case of Central and Eastern Europe.
- Philipov, Dimiter und Hans-Peter Kohler. 2001. Tempo Effects in the Fertility Decline in Eastern Europe. European Journal of Population 1.
- Keyfitz, Nathan und Dimiter Philipov. 1981. Migration and Natural Increase in the Growth of Cities. Geographical Analysis 13(4): 287-299. Published also as Research Report 82-2: International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, 1982.