Alexia Fürnkranz-Prskawetz, Research Group Leader and Deputy Director
Research Group: Population Economics
Job Title: Deputy Director and Research Group Leader
Phone: +43 1 313 36 7701
Fax: +43 1 313 36 907730
- Studies in Technical Mathematics (applied to Economics) at the Vienna University of Technology
- M.A. in Economics at the University of Chicago
- PhD in Technical Mathematics at the Vienna University of Technology
- 2nd Doctorate (Habilitation) at the Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Econometrics, Operations Research and Systems Theory
- Professor of Mathematical Economics at the Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Unit: Economics (since February 2008)
- Deputy Director and Research Group Leader (Research Unit: Population Economics) at the Vienna Institute of Demography (since October 2003)
- Research Associate of the Institute for Social and Economic Research, University Essex (since February 2006)
- Head of Independent Research Group on Population, Economy, and Environment at the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany (October 1998 till October 2003)
- Research scientist at the Vienna Institute of Demography of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and at the Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Econometrics, Operations Research and Systems Theory.
- Teaching at the Vienna University of Technology, University of Vienna, and the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research in Rostock, Germany.
- Long-run population and economic development
- Macroeconomic consequences of an ageing population
- Population ageing and labour markets
- Fertility and female labour force participation at the macro-level
- Demographic structure and environmental behaviour
- WWTF Project: Agglomeration processes in ageing societies
- FWF Project: Poverty Dynamics and Fertility in Developing Countries
- EU, Tender VT/2004/056: Impact of population ageing on innovation and productivity growth in Europe more
- EU, Tender VT/2005/035: The relationship between demographic change and economic growth in the EU more
- ÖNB Project: Optimal age specific human capital investment in an ageing society. An analysis at the firm level more
- Engelhardt, Henriette; Kohler, Hans-Peter; Fürnkranz-Prskawetz, Alexia (Eds.), (2009) Causal Analysis in Population Studies The Springer Series on Demographic Methods and Population Analysis, Vol. 23 more
- Prskawetz, A., D. Bloom and W. Lutz (2008) Population Aging, Human Capital Accumulation, and Productivity Growth, A supplement to Population and Development Review Vol. 33, Population Council, New York.
- Billari, F.C., T. Fent, A. Prskawetz and J. Scheffran (2006) Agent-Based Computational Modelling. Applications in Demography, Social, Economic and Environmental Sciences, Physica Verlag,
- Prskawetz, A., T. Sobotka, I. Buber, H. Engelhardt and R. Gisser (2008) Austria: Persistent low fertility since the mid-1980s, Demographic Research, Vol. 19, Article 12, 293-360
- Heiland, F., A. Prskawetz and W.C. Sanderson (2008) Are individuals’ desired family sizes stable? Evidence from West German Panel Data, European Journal of Population 24, 129-156.
- Dalton, M., B.C. O’Neill, A. Prskawetz, L. Jiang and J. Pitkin (2008) Population Ageing and Future Carbon Emissions in the United States, Energy Economics 30, 642-675.
- Feichtinger, G., M. Winkler-Dworak, I. Freund, A. Prskawetz and F. Riosmena (2007) On the age dynamics of learned societies – taking the example of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna Yearbook of Population Research Vol. 2007, 107-131.
- Prskawetz, A. and V. Veliov (2007) Age Specific Dynamic Labor Demand and Human Capital Investment, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control 31, 3741-3777.
- Prskawetz, A. and T. Fent (2007) Workforce ageing and the substitution of labour. The role of supply and demand of labour in Austria, Metroeconomica 58(1): 95-126.
- Billari, F.C., A. Prskawetz, T. Fent and B. Aparicio Diaz (2007) The "Wedding-Ring": An agent-based marriage model based on social interaction, Demographic Research Vol. 17, Article 3, 59-82.
- Prskawetz, A., T. Kögel, W.C. Sanderson and S. Scherbov (2007) The Effects of Age Structure on Economic Growth: An Applicaton of Probabilistic Forecasting in India, International Journal of Forecasting 23, 587-602.
At the Vienna University of Technology:
- Introduction to economics (lecture)
- Advanced topics in macroeconomics (seminar)
- Topics in economic modelling (seminar)
- Environmental and Population Economics (lecture and seminar)
back to staff list